17 July 2014
Things I Learned Today
1. Both Doritos and broccoli provide you with energy. (Apparently Miss Christa's choice should be broccoli)
2. When one of my most interesting kiddos is exhausted she looks like a drunk spinning circles and bumping into walls in the ballpit while endlessly giggling.
3. Kids ask you if you are married at the oddest times -- like really loudly -- in a silent room in front of fellow staff -- and parents you do not know :)
4. I work in a place where "I have to go but I can't go, you understand?," "I gassy" "I farted" " I stanky" and " "eeew!! Oops! That me?" Are regular phrases heard (and smelled).
5. When you are at the end of the line and you still have one more patient to go and you seriously don't know how you can muster up the energy to smile without throwing up from the pain much less treat the kiddo for an hour --- it is great to have coworkers who understand when you plop down face first on the floor for 5 minutes so you can pray for the strength to finish the day and know that they won't let you sleep through your last appointment.
6. Today (and over the last week especially) I have been reminded how great it is to have a medical provider who is not only knowledgable but also listens and is willing to collaborate with and refer to others when necessary. My PCP has gone above and beyond and has actually included me in the problem solving process. While he kept apologizing today because the problem still exists I kept thanking him for his help and his willingness to listen. It has been a good reminder of the type of medical professional I hope I am. Kindhearted, compassionate, knowledgable, listener, humble, and willing to help.