My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

13 July 2014

The Restart Button

It began as a kid -- I discovered after many ear infections and many rounds of antibiotics my pediatrician sent me to an allergist and testing revealed a response to oranges, oats, wheat, dairy, and raw egg white. If I ate them occassionally I was fine but if they built up in my system TaDa! rashes, hives, and ear infections.  

Fast forward many years and I am an adult who has NEVER receieved the flu vaccine because it is grown in raw egg white.  I am now an intern at Boston Children's Hospital and they are requiring that I receive the vaccine. No exception. The result -- a severe reaction -- resulting in an IV, massive amounts of fluid, benedryl, epi, terrified NP, MD, discussion of trach, and 2 days of sleeping off the effects of all of the medications. With that came documentation from the medical director stating that I should not receive this vaccine again.

Fast forward again. Current employer. Required attempt by microdose.  The problem is -- now I live in the South.  That alone requires me to be on allergy medication.  Removal of the allergy medication for 14 days to undergo the flu vaccine cause pneumonia thus requiring an extended round of steroids.  My body plus steroids is not a good thing.  The outcome this time is +40 pounds and borderline diagnoses of hypothyroid and diabetes.  Needless to say I don't want any of these.  So ---- I am going to take a challenge.  The Whole 30.  30 Days of eating following specific guidelines.

Whole 30 was created by Dallas and Melissa Harwig.  The book It Starts With Food describes the why? and the science behind the rules but I will begin by listing the rules below.  I had planned to begin tomorrow but I ended up in the hospital yesterday so my start date has been pushed back by at least a week.  Give me a shout if you want to join me.  The more the merrier :)  I will be posting along the way to hold myself acountable. 

1. No Sugar (maple, honey, agave, coconut sugar, splena, stevia, any articifical sweeteners, xylitol, etc....) it can have fruit juice as a sweetner but limited

2. No Alcohol ( even in cooking)

3. No Grains ( wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgar, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains, quinoa, gluten free pseudo grains, bran, germ, starch, etc)

4. No Legumes (all beans, black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, peas, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, pb, soy, soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, lecithin, etc...)
-- You CAN have green beans, sugar snap, and snow peas

5. No Dairy (cow, goat, sheep, etc)
--You CAN have clarified butter or ghee (whole foods or Trader Joes)

6. No White Potatoes (white, red, purple, yukon gold, fingerling)
--You CAN have sweet potatoes :)

7. No MSG, Sulfites, Carrageenan (in any form) (this looks like mostly processed meats)

8. No Paleofied Baked/Junk Foods (Muffins, Ice milk, banana pancakes, etc) (you can't do anything healthy baked to make it like a baked good because the idea is to get your body out of the habit of wanting that baked item.  If you feed it a healthified version it sort of defeats the purpose)

9. No Weight or Body Measurements during 30 Days (only before and after) (because it is not about any weight lost -- that is an added benefit -- it is about a restart -- a reset for your body).

There are great resources available online for free including things you can and cannot eat, grocery lists, meal plan suggestions, rules, success stories,  and how to integrate the foods back into your diet after the 30 days.  There is also a support group and forum you can sign into.  The website is http://whole30.com

I hope you will consider joining me.  It won't be easy but I truly think it will be worth it. 


No comments: