My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

23 February 2014

He has a....

sense of humor.

If you don't think so you haven't seen the God I have often seen.  Humor and irony.  I like to think that you see certain parts of His personality to match your own --- as I have a tendency to be a bit (just a bit) sarcastic at times I am certain that his responses are in a form that resonates with me.  

Case(s) in Point

1. Yesterday I drove through a drive thru carwash to get the salt off of the undercarriage of my car.  Many of you are thinking that this isn't such a big task.  However, thanks to a dear friend (who shall not be named -- but you know who you are) decided to take a 15 passenger van loaded with myself and a ton of kids through a small carwash years ago.  As she and I were just getting to know each other at that point she was unaware (until we were entering the carwash) that I have a bit of difficulty with small spaces.  Add to that the fact that the majority of the kids were screaming my name and well --- you can imagine.
       Now --- back to present day -- yesterday.  I decide to put on my big girl panties and go through the drive thru.  I literally said a prayer before entering.  Seriously.  God laughed - and about that time I realized that this was a carwash unlike I was used to --- with this carwash the foam began spraying as you entered the building.  I had just paid for the carwash as I entered the carwash -- with window rolled down.  I'll let your imagination finish the story as you laugh at my stupidity and God's sense of humor.  I didn't have time to be concerned about the noise, thumping, and small space as I was busy attempting to wipe down the inside of my car before I exited so no one would know :).

2. The need for a place in ministry. I have been struggling with where my place is in ministry.  It isn't as easy as just stepping in and getting started.  I've done that in the past.  I have also found myself juggling parts of music ministry, teaching a children's Sunday school class, being in/leading small group, etc.  All at the same time.  It becomes to easy to do -- to easy to be the person people can call on whenever they need someone to help with a new project -- and it can't be about the "doing."  It becomes to easy to lose "me" in the process. 
      And so -- a training for the Children's ministry at my new church is tonight.  For weeks I have planned to attend and then awoke this morning with discouragement in my heart that I am not where I need to be to work with the kids -- that I need to be "better," " know more",  " be more fun", "more physically fit," to work with the kids. So I went to the service today with a heavy heart once again wondering where I fit -- and then the sermon occurred.
      For approx 16 wks we have been doing a verse by verse study on the book of Colossians (honestly -- a book of which I had little knowledge).  Today's verses were 4:5-18.  The Pastor wrapped up with sermon with verse 17.

".. See to it that you complete the work you have received in The Lord." (NIV)

"..Do your best in the job you received from the Master. Do your very best." (The Message)

He concluded his sermon with the reminder that the Children's training is tonight while including the fact that the training was planned months ago and they had no idea it would coincide with today's message. 

He then added -- "Maybe you think you aren't good enough, don't know enough, or aren't fun enough to work with the kids. Well you are -- those are lies --- and I can't think of a better to place to learn more."

Hook - Line - Sinker!  Guess where I will be at 5:00pm tonight.  ROC for Children's Ministry training with the faith that God will place me in the niche that had my name on it long before today. 

What's your niche? Have you found your place in ministry? It is not easy but TOTALLY worth it!


2 comments:

jct said...

You know that there is no such thing as a coincidence!

Lisa said...

How exciting for you and those precious children. Be prepared for multiple blessings from God!