My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

05 May 2013

Broken Hallelujah.


The song "Hallelujah" has been on my mind a lot lately.  In response I currently awake to the tune each morning.
It seems to me we go through phases.  Some phases include a strong hallelujah, some are a bit less strong, and some phases are more for the Broken Hallelujahs.
During this morning's sermon a verse was loosely quoted --- when we are so broken that we can't even voice our needs/requests -- the Holy Spirit speaks on our behalf.
Deep in my soul I know that God not only hears my strong and boisterous Hallelujahs He also hears our quiet broken Hallelujahs spoken when it takes every ounce of strength we can muster.
No matter phase you are currently in --- I hope you know you are loved. You are cherished. You are supported.
(I like this video of the song -- it was recorded backstage during Winter Jam.  It's like going to church as these girls worship their Father)



Hallelujah
I've heard there was a secret chordThat David played and it pleased the LordBut you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this, the fourth, the fifthThe minor fall, the major liftThe baffled king composing hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujahHallelujah, hallelujah
Your faith was strong but you needed proofYou saw her bathing on the roofHer beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chairShe broke your throne, she cut your hairAnd from your lips she drew the hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujahHallelujah, hallelujah
Maybe I've been here beforeI know this room, I've walked this floorI used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble archLove is not a victory marchIt's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujahHallelujah, hallelujah
There was a time you let me knowWhat's real and going on belowBut now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you?The holy dark was moving tooAnd every breath we drew was hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujahHallelujah, hallelujah
Maybe there's a God aboveAnd all I ever learned from loveWas how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
And it's not a cry you can hear at nightIt's not somebody who's seen the lightIt's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujahHallelujah, hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujahHallelujah, hallelujah
(Rufus Wainwright)

2 comments:

Lori Harris said...

I LOVE that song. LOVE it. And most of my days whisper broken Hallelujahs.

Christa said...

Lori - it is always nice to know you are not alone :)