My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

28 April 2012

Feel Too Much....

I was informed this week that I care too much about my patients. How do you respond to that?  I will admit that I go above and beyond what is required --- but for my own mental well being I will tack an extra 30min to the end of my day to be able to help out the patients and their families. 


Apparently I shouldn't talk to doctors or nurse practioners about my patients status changes.  I shouldn't allow physicians to observe my sessions (even when it is in no way affecting my treatment).  I should take coverage for my kids ---- but not get to choose which child or when.  I should allow a stranger to treat my teen with TBI on the same day that her mom won't be there all day because her brother is having brain surgery at the hospital a couple of blocks away.  I draw the line.  It is hard. It is fast.  I will not cross it.  These kids have enough to bear on a normal day.  Add on additional family trials and what these kids can really use is consistency.  When I can't do it.... that's one thing.  But when you want me to choose to not do it because it would be more convenient.  I think not.  I treat each child the way I would want my child treated.  I treat each family the way I would want my family to be treated.  Because of that ---- I have great relationships to with both patients and their families.  For kids and parents --- that can make all the difference in the world.  


I will never be someone who leaves early on a regular basis.  I will always be the girl who arrives early, helps the nurses, discusses concerns and ideas with other team members, and is willing to help in any way that I can.  It's who I am. It's who I've always been.  I take care of those I love....



1 comment:

jct said...

Patients know if you care more about them or more about the job. You've got to do what you believe to be right. And how would you want you want to be treated?