My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

21 May 2011

Exams, Showers, Teaching, Learning, Rain, and.....

     Woohoo!!!  I passed my exams --- well --- did better than just pass......  I took a 10 day trip to North Carolina and now am getting ready to finish up a May Minimester....


     SO I caught up on all of my classes - took my midterms and did well.  Continued with all of my classes and learned a lot!  In a couple of weeks I'll be heading out to a clinic in Quincy, MA to spend forty hour weeks treating patients, learning new techniques, and improving on my current skills.  Can you tell I'm excited?  (and very nervous)


     But first --- I spent about 10 days at home throwing a party for the boys (my soon to be born nephew's baby shower and my dad's 60th birthday party).  It was a lot of work -- and fun!  I'm glad that I have a great group of friends and family I can depend on for help because planning a shower during exams and flying into the state the day before the party didn't lend itself to easy planning.  The party was a success.  Everyone seemed to have a good time -- I got to see lots of smiles from my dad and hear his bubbling laughter.  My nephew now has a lot of pretty things for his nursery, a diaper bag, some slings to be nice and cozy at his Mama's chest or side, and LOTS of books.  But let's be honest --- you can never have too many books --- and so it will be my eternal gift to my nephew --- lots of books :)  I spent some time with friends and family.  I was able to make a big ol' bowl of potato salad with my Grandmother and made paper chains with Christy.  Spent some time on the side of the interstate capturing the gorgeous wildflowers.  Had a great dinner with some of my most favorite people.  and.....After Mother's day brunch at Cracker Barrel with Mama and Amy it was once again time to board a plane.  


    And then began the May Minimester ---- a three week intensive course on teaching, learning, and therapeutic exercise.  The end of it will be Wednesday when I take a one hour practical exam proving that I have learned something. :)


    Originally my schedule included a long trip home before I start my full time clinic.  But seeing as how I was originally told it would begin on June 20th and have since found out that it will begin on May 31st..... It's not going to happen.  So the hope is that I will be able to be home for a longer trip at the beginning of August that will allow me lots of time to love on my brand new nephew, family, and friends..... and receive lots of hugs in return.


    What do I miss while I'm in Boston?  Hugs --- Lance pb on cheese crackers --- Food Lion cheese danishes --- grilled chicken --- homemade icecream --- Hugs --- my family --- Cook Out Milkshakes -- Did I mention hugs?


      I spent a lot of time just sitting outside in the sun talking with a friend yesterday.  (It's been raining almost constantly for the last week or so)  It came up that I enjoy being here in the city -- but being home in the "country" fits too.  I get asked all the time "When you graduate will you go back to NC?"  Eventually?  Yes, most likely I will.  Straight out of school?  I don't know -- probably not.  But I would love to one day have kids.  I would love for them to have a yard --- a garden ---- a hammock between trees --- grilled food --- and homemade icecream in an old-fashioned icecream maker...  


      It was an odd sensation going home this last time ---- When the plane descended below the clouds over NC --- I was overwhelmed by all of the green.  It was a reminder of one of the many things I love about my part of the country.   Trying to explain to people that I lived in the middle between the beach and mountains and yes--- both are in the same state.  In 2 hours I could be on the Blue Ridge Parkway -- and in 3 hours I could be walking on the beach.  These are the things I miss.  These are the things that will have me back in NC one day.  


      But for now--- I live ---- I learn --- I dream ---- and pray that one day those dreams come true.....

No comments: