My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

09 February 2011

bLoOm

Alma's Flowers
 "Each day is God's gift to you.  Make it blossom and grow into a thing of beauty."

     I'm a bit obsessed with quotes.  I have them written in my planner, on my computer screen, hanging on my walls, and on the bathroom mirrors.  It's nice to be reminded of things in someone else's words.  There are many things in life that we take for granted and many moments that we miss out on because we lose sight of what's truly important.  On a really stressful and long day of school when I come home and there is no end in sight.... I need a reminder that it'll all work out... that people have survived this... and I will too.  When my heart breaks at the lives and challenges of others I need a reminder that it's not all in vain.  When I hear of beautiful children in a fight for their lives because of diseases and a horrible thing called C.A.N.C.E.R.... I need a reminder.  When I hear on the news of people abused, horrible tragedies, fighting, and wars.... I need a reminder that it's not all bad.  I need a reminder that amazing people come out of the turmoil...                    
         The classes this semester are REALLY challenging and overwhelming.  I'm also balancing being a PT patient twice a week and tutoring twice a week.  There is homework from all of the above and the stress to meet the challenge is increasing.
         Most mornings I get up ready to face another day.  Other days it's a struggle to get out of bed... a struggle to get in the shower... a struggle to pack my three meals.... a struggle to bundle up for the cold... a struggle to get on the bus... and a struggle to walk in the front door of the school and then the classroom...  One of those days occurred recently and on that day.... I paused a moment before walking out the door to turn my quote calendar to the day... and the above quote was there.  It was exactly what I needed.  God knew that I needed it and there it was.    
       I thought of two things:  A little glass etching from my Dad many years ago that says "Bloom where God plants you." and the painting in the picture.  The flowers were painted by my Great Great Aunt.  Her name was Alma Anderson (affectionately known as "Anna" by her great/great great nieces/nephews.  This is one of my favorite paintings by her and my amazing mom sent it to Boston with me.  It hangs over my bed now.  Anna and her husband Bubba (given name "Norman") were two loving people.  She was a loving  Southern lady (with the cooking to reflect it) and Bubba was a gentle giant who would do anything to get a smile out of us kids.  This painting is one of my most prized possessions... it's a reflection of the love and support of a great family, the dreams yet to be gained, the possibilities of each day, and amazing hope for the future....
       What do you cherish?  What reminds you of your roots?  What do you do each day to remind yourself that you are loved, you are cherished, and you can do this?

1 comment:

junction said...

Nice!