My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

16 October 2009

A Few Beach Reflections

I spent the last week and a half at the beach. Topsail Island.... I'm extremely lucky in that some of my extended family own a small house on the sound side of the island, right on the water. It's a great little place full of lots of memories from my childhood.

At this house: I learned how to bait a hook, I learned how to fish and remove the fish I caught from the hook, I learned how to put out the crab trap and kill the crabs we caught. We crammed most of the family in and people were on every bed, couch, and air mattress. The house was full of joking, talking, laughter, the smell of food, the sound of fish frying and crab slurping.... Many games have been played at this house... Scrabble, Uno, Yahtzee.....

There are many fond memories from my childhood there but in recent years this house has become a haven. Somewhere I can run away to to spend time in the Word and the nature the He created. It's a time of reflection...a time to calm the storms... a time to enjoy the simpler things of life... It's a time for laughter, movies, games, and sleep.... It was a retreat after surgeries..... and a place to hide and heal wounds..... And so... this is why I went this trip...

God had other plans.... The spots were running... Mama and I were excited to fish... family came to visit and fish.... and then we had "the incident". Mama fell down the stairs and broke her arm... The rest is history.... and interesting :)

In some ways it's nice to be back... but a part of me still yearns for the quiet, the meditation, the hours on the beach, the solitude, and the reassurance that I will be taken care of... no matter the path.....I love this tree. There are two trees at the back of the house. You can see them through the sliding glass door....the stand on each side of the pier that extends from the back of the house....

Each tree is twisted....and interesting. To me the trees seem to say.... I'm tired... I'm changed... but I'm still here... I'm still standing...

There is no telling how many hurricanes these trees have survived. I know there have been many that pretty much destroyed the house....(just in the part of my lifetime I can remember)....

The trees are a calm reassurance to me.... It's as if they say... "You're tired... You're changed....but you're still here... You're still standing...."

Psalm 94:19

2 comments:

polly's path said...

well said.
And how lucky you are to have such a special place you can go to to replenish your soul.

junction said...

A great past, present and future!