My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

22 March 2009

So the Gist of it is.....

...it has been an amazing and horrific two weeks!!

The amazing!... I was accepted to my top two choices. Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions ("MGH Institute" "the Institute" "Mass General Institute") and University of St. Augustine. Honestly, when I was accepted into the program at MGH I was hoping I would not be accepted to St. Aug. (I'm not so fond of making hard decisions about myself). No such luck. To make matters more interesting....St. Aug starts in Sept which would give me longer to find a place to live, more time with friends and family, and a chance to breathe... but when it comes down to it....

.... living in Boston is one of my dreams. I came home from a medical internship 12 years ago declaring I was going to live in Boston one day. My parents did what all parents do... "ok.. honey"
It was hard for me to apply to schools in Boston. It's a long way from home, it snows there (a lot), the rent is outrageous, it's a huge city, it's not handicap accessible in a friendly way....but then I kept coming back to my longing to live there. So I applied and figured if I was invited for an interview I would decide about living there. With invitations for two interviews I nearly ran to the plane..... During my time in Boston I kept trying to find reasons for me to not live there. I couldn't.... other than cost. In the end.... I'm single... I have no children....and my parents are not in need of me full time... Now would be the best time to go.. And just in case you don't know... the DPT program at MGH Institute is rated (#5/#7) in the country..... (there's a three way tie for fifth place...so they could be fifth, sixth, or seventh :) ).

I applied to this school for fun. It's a school I would love to attend but never expected to get into (like someone with a C/D average applying to Harvard). Did I mention that my first class at MGH will be at Harvard Medical School ?

So obviously in my wandering speech you can see that I made a decision... Now the bad news....

Although it looks like I qualify for the cost of tuition and cost of living in loans. I will NOT receive my student loans until two weeks after school starts.

Let me elaborate....Between now and two weeks into classes I have to: pay deposit ($400) , get an apartment ($6,000 down.. minimum), buy books ($900), connect utilities (will have to pay deposits since I'll have no income), buy clothes (I have none...and especially not nice, khaki, or business), buy scrubs, move (boxes, tape, U-haul truck), go to Boston for apt (flight, hotel, food).... the list goes on and on.... You can see the problem....

So I'm a bit stressed.....and at this point I don't know....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yardsale, yardsale, yardsale

or take all your stuff to an e-bay house where they'll sell it online for you and take a percentage for doing the work.