My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

07 February 2009

Tree Hugger

The flower said, "I wish I was a tree,"
The tree said, "I wish I could be a different kind of tree,
The cat wished that it was a bee,
The turtle wished that it could fly really high into the sky,
Over rooftops and then dive deep into the sea.

And in the sea there is a fish,
A fish that has a secret wish,
A wish to be a big cactus with a pink flower on it. (x2)

And the flower would be its offering of love to the desert.
And the desert, So dry and lonely,
That the creatures all appreciate the effort.

And the rattlesnake said,"I wish I had hands so I could hug you like a man."
And then the cactus said,"Don't you understand,
My skin is covered with sharp spikes that'll stab you like a thousand knives.
A hug would be nice, but hug my flower with your eyes."

The flower said, "I wish I was a tree,"
The tree said, "I wish I could be a different kind of tree,
The cat wished that it was a bee,
The turtle wished that it could fly
Really high into the sky,
Over rooftops and then dive deep into the sea.

And in the sea there is a fish,
A fish that has a secret wish,
A wish to be a big cactus with a pink flower on it. (x2)

And the flower would be its offering of love to the desert.
And the desert, So dry and lonely, that the creatures all appreciate the effort.


These are lyrics for a song "Tree Hugger" on the Juno soundtrack. I've heard this song many many times. However yesterday in preparation for an evening with one of my favorite boys..... I dug through cds for a change of pace from dancing to Aretha Franklin... (yes we do it...and I am NOT ashamed :) ) In searching I uncovered the Juno soundtrack. It hasn't been in my car since I moved and B and I were really excited. After a long and fun night of movies, Red Robin, and shooting pool I drove home. This song began playing as I turned on the car and the lyrics seemed to have an entirely different meaning to me....

Each of these creatures is unhappy with who or what they are. They each want to be something or someone different. How often do we wish we were something different? Here is just a short list of mine:

  • thinner
  • smarter
  • healthier
  • clearer skin
  • better musician
  • more organized
  • not a second attempt student
  • better a Bible study
  • good at memorizing scripture
  • better dresser
  • less of a procrastinator...
  • (be back in a few minutes.... just kidding!) :)
  • better daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, friend...
  • more patient
  • more kind
  • more loving......
  • .....and the list goes on and on

No one will ever be perfect. It's not possible and even when we come close there is always something that we think could be better. What happened to being happy where you are with who you are.

I have been told by people and friends many times: "You can't seriously be as content as you are to be single and childless..." WOW! Yes I can. I'm not saying I am 100% content all of the time but I know that this is where I am supposed to be right now and going to school is my current purpose. I will add, however, that there are definitely times when I see a couple walking down the street holding hands (especially cute old couples) that I think... "I want that.." Or times like last night at Red Robin when a tiny baby in a carrier was laid at my feet. (In my head... "ohhh... I want to be a mom...--and the ache that comes with that thought, even now as I type it). But I know that I am on the right path.... I will only stagger... I will not falter! However

I realize that as each day dawns new doubts creep into our minds. Am I good enough for PT school? Will I ever get my apartment to look decent? Can I possibly get an A on my quiz/test? I wish I could run to class and not die at the end... When I dress for my cardiac aerobics class I try on three pairs of workout pants (I only own three but I try each on every time....). I enjoy my job because the boys don't care what I wear... I shocked B last week when my outfit included makeup and heels. (I was heading to the opera with Laurie after work) He was no more impressed than when I pick him up in jeans, t-shirt, and a hoodie. However in the rest of the world this is not the case and thus people all over the country stand in front of a mirror and judge the body parts with which they are most unhappy. I often think women are much more beautiful without a ton of makeup. Thousands of people go through plastic surgery for apperance. This can't be good! Really! Each time I look in the mirror I strive to name the things I love about myself... It's getting easier!

Think about these lyrics... watch the videos.... What would you want to change? God sees you as perfect...The ones who love you see you as much more than you see yourself... Look in the mirror, smile, and think of all that you have to offer the world. The cactus' flower was an offering of love to a dry and lonely desert. What kind of offering can we be to a world who is struggling...

3 comments:

L said...

I LOVE that song!!! Told you it was cool ;)
Thank you for this entry... this may sound selfish, but it's always a "relief" to hear others worried about new beginnings -- like school. Although, if there's anyone I think is ready for DPT school and will do GREAT, it's you -- and yet you have doubts. When I got back from my interview, the first thing I did was run through my head how much better/prepared the other applicants were than I was, when what I should have been doing was thinking of the "gifts" I had to bring to the program. Why does it seem easier to run through the first thought, rather than the second? I guess our culture really does push us to always compare and size ourselves up in one way or another. It's true what you say... those who love us see so much more of our potential than we do sometimes. If we could switch our lenses every now and then, that would be great. :)

CHRISTA said...

L- Thanks for your comment. And for the record--- I don't think you need to worry about MOT.
I was so excited yesterday about some commercial because the woman in it was not bone skinny. I'm glad that some things are changing... Runway models must have a certain percentage of body fat... However, look at all of the things that haven't. It is not hard to fathom why so many young people (male and female) have eating disorders. They are only shown sickly thin women. Even in the store Lane Bryant the mannequins (I have no idea how to spell that word) are smaller than the clothes that they sell!
I hope in my lifetime things change. I wonder sometimes if there would be more of a weight balance if on TV we saw people of a healthy weight...a goal that is acheivable... instead of tiny and unobtainable...

Anonymous said...

We can't be satified can we? We have to forget about what others think we should be and be who God wants us to be. He made creation and it is right.