My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

04 February 2009

As of today...


...I am a bit heartbroken....

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous..However, I arrived home today after "cardiac step" class to find an envelope from Boston University in my mailbox. The envelope contained an nonacceptance letter for the DPT program. The hope was that I would be accepted there and then go to my interviews with a little less stress about acceptance. That is not how it's worked out.

So instead of eating the entire package of E.L. Fudge cookies sitting beside me...I thought I would pick up my yarn and crochet hook, turn off the TV, silence my phone...and think... This is what part of my mental travels.... (in no specific order/the way my brain works...)

  • Without my change of degree I wouldn't have a child development degree and my knowledge of children with disabilities...

  • Without my Grandmama telling me to "get off the fence" I wouldn't have gotten this far.

  • Without my medical internship in high school (to Boston) I would have never fallen in love with the city.... (An amazing thing when you think about it... When I went to Boston I was planning to become a doctor. God knew then that I would change my degree but what I learned and the places I visited would help shape my future..)

  • Without the many drives to Burlington to visit Christy and passing the "Elon University" signs the passion may not have been fueled...

  • Without the wreck three years ago I wouldn't have met Katie, DPT or further understood the pain and struggles that accompany rehabilitation of the back, neck, and hips... or the struggle necessary to deal with chronic pain...

  • Without BU I would not have looked at the other schools in Boston...

  • Without Christy working at Gateway I probably wouldn't have been able to volunteer there

  • Without volunteering at Gateway I would have been unaware of the connections that need to be made between occupational therapy and physical therapy in order to provide greater success for the patient...

  • Without meeting Chris Lewis I wouldn't have met Timothy.... http://www.timothymyson.com/ ... and Timothy has further cemented that working with children with special needs is my purpose!

  • Without friends and family experiencing my travels with me...I would be even more stressed (I know...hard to believe :) ) about my upcoming traveling and interviews....

  • The harder I work..the more I want to be a DPT; the more I want to be a DPT the harder I work...

  • The more I struggle...the more friends and family reassure....

  • True friends are there for you no matter what....They get annoyed when you aren't around but understand that you are balancing all the plate you can and it changes from day to day..

  • Love is unconditional...when someone needs you you go...when someone calls you you listen...and when someone is struggling you aim to lift them up....(The ASL sign for "help" is the right hand in a fist placed on top of the left hand (palm side up)...Now lift the right hand with the left and you just signed help... This is what we should be doing for each other.. Tearing down each other helps no one!!

  • Patience is a virtue that I do not have!!!!!

  • I crave a much simpler life....

  • I enjoy laughing, crying, playing games, eating, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones.... (I wish I could do it more often)

  • I truly enjoy crocheting and knitting items for other people.... My first baby blanket was for Timothy (the amazing little boy listed above.... please read his blog... he is undergoing some heartbreaking surgeries...) and I crocheted a bright pink one for his sister...because every big sister deserves a gift :)

  • Without the love of my family I would be nothing....

  • I love to cook and want to eat healthy..... I wish it was cheaper to do so...

  • I have no backup plan....without DPT it will be starting over again....

  • I don't want to think about a backup plan.... Being a DPT is the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think of at night.....
I hope you enjoyed the list...Feel free to add your own :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Sorry about Boston, but WOW, just look at where you've been and what has shaped your world! Keep your chin up! You'll get there...

Hope we can get together soon! I miss you!

Luv ya,

Traci

Anonymous said...

God always knows.

Mrs. Todd-Paine said...

Wow, what a day. I find out my plan for next year (Watauga) has been shut down for me and you find out about BU. Least you still have other options. I always get BU confused with BO, so that letter will at least save you from three years of body odor jokes from me.