My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

18 January 2009

Favorite Thing #10


RINGING THE SALVATION ARMY BELL!!!

Ringing the bell is one of my absolute favorite things to do. The first time I can remember ringing was in High School with the Anchor club. I have tried to ring every year since then. The joy of helping others is wonderful. My favorite places to ring are in lower income neighborhoods. I enjoy explaining to children that the money buys food and gifts for children who don't have anything for Christmas. Watching the joy on little faces as they place their penny or nickle into the pot with a huge smile and a "Merry Christmas."

If you have never taken the opportunity to ring the Salvation Army bell I highly suggest it. Grab your family, your friends, your small group, and your coworkers. You may not be able to donate money but you can surely donate a couple of hours of your time.

The Salvation Army now has an online kettle program where you can sponsor a kettle and encourage friends and family to donate. I give ten and a half months of warning. I plan to be away at graduate school at Christmas 2009. I will be sponsoring a kettle and I will be asking for donations. Start saving your change now. Save it all year for a great cause and help to supply those in need with a Christmas to remember!

No comments: