My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

11 April 2008

What Are Your Idols?

Lastnight the Bible study woman was Rebekah. Rebekah married Isaac (son of Sarah and Abraham) and later gave birth to Jacob and Esau. The topic of discussion in small group was idolatry. Some were surprised at the things that could be considered idols.

Rebekah idolized her son Jacob. Think of the families you know that revolve solely around the child. One day the child will be gone and the parents will realize they no longer know each other. That is a dangerous road to tread. We are all human and none of us are perfect. Placing someone on a pedestal is setting them up for failure and yourself up for disappointment.

An idol can be anything that we put in a place where God should be. For me in the last couple of years school became my idol. God was still there but I pushed my time with Him aside quite often in order to study for my anatomy, medical terminology, etc... Would I have failed the tests without that thirty minutes? Two points (most of the time :) ) won't make a difference. How often do I put other things before Him and tell Him to wait?

An idol is a "substitute." No matter how you say that word it sounds inferior. Think about substitute teachers and sugar substitutes. Why would we want that instead of the real thing? Why would we choose to hit the snooze button three times instead of getting up and spending thirty minutes with God? It's a great way to start the day. It's a habit I'm trying to get back into. Beginning your day in the Word can really make a difference in your attitude and your perception of surroundings.

No comments: