My Flickr Pics

christajtodd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

11 April 2008

Beautiful

Below are the lyrics to another Bethany Dillon song. It's one of my favorites for a lot of reasons. I think as a society we put entirely too much emphasis on outward appearance. This could include: hair, color, height, weight, clothes, eyes, and teeth. In each of those categories we could add five to ten more topics like color, size, and corrective items. We should be looking at people on the inside.

There is a classic question where people ask you if you would rather be blind or deaf. Well obviously people would not necessarily choose either. I get caught. I would choose deaf because I know sign language and could still communicate. However anyone who knows me knows that if I'm not listening to music I'm singing or humming or drumming a beat with my fingers. Music is part of who I am. I couldn't give that up. But to be blind would mean giving up the beauty of God's creation. The details hidden inside of a single flower. However, to be blind would be to gain a great advantage. You would be able to get to know people for who they are not what they look like. Think about how many people we pass each day that we don't meet because they don't meet our "criteria."

I fell into this pit as have many others. I based what I thought I should look like on how society thought I should look. It doesn't work. Eventually you lose a part of yourself. For me it was a huge part.

Now most days I can look in the mirror and feel beautiful. But on the days that I don't. I remember that I am beautiful in His eyes and that's all that matters. "Red and yellow, black, and white; they are precious in His sight...."

On my bathroom mirror is written..."Stop criticizing His creation!" -It works every time. I'm His!

Remember you are His and think about the true meaning of this song. He makes you beautiful. He makes you quite enough and He makes you worthy of love.:

I was so unique
Now I feel skin deep
I count on the make-up to cover it all
Crying myself to sleep cause I cannot keep their attention
I thought I could be strong
But it's killing me
Does someone hear my cry?
I'm dying for new life
I want to be beautiful
Make you stand in awe
Look inside my heart, and be amazed
I want to hear you say
Who I am is quite enough
Just want to be worthy of love
And beautiful

Sometimes I wish I was someone other than me
Fighting to make the mirror happy
Trying to find whatever is missing
Won't you help me back to glory

[Chorus]

You make me beautiful
You make me stand in awe
You step inside my heart,
and I am amazed
I love to hear You say
Who I am is quite enough
You make me worthy of love and
beautiful
(Bethany Dillon- Beautiful)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I think this is something that a lot of us (both females and males) struggle with, maybe some more than others. Christa, you're one of the few that knows the most about my life, present and past...and there's a present situation/relationship (or lack thereof) that has been making me evaluate myself, sometimes in a negative light. I find myself asking, "What is it about me that makes this other person hesitate?" Or, "What do I need to work on to get their attention?" But I think that reveals a deeper insecurity that surfaces from time to time when I have something specific to focus it on. I may think that I am 100% secure with myself, until something comes along to test it. In a way this is good, because problems finally get addressed. But it (as well as this post) reminds me that I need to re-evaluate what I look to to give myself meaning, identity, a sense of beauty and confidence. If I'm seeking to gain it through another person, I need to stop and rethink my path. People should make our lives meaningful, but they should not be held responsible for giving us meaning/worth.